PROFINET Commander runs as a PROFINET I/O controller (conformance class B, real time – RT) on a PC with an easy to use graphical user interface. With PROFINET Commander, users can test and build a PROFINET network and quickly connect I/O Devices without PLC programming.
- Configuration information
- I/O data
- Diagnostics and alarms
- Read inputs from the devices
- Change the output data on the I/O devices
- Browse the network
- Set names and IP addresses
- Flash LEDs and reset to factory settings
Users gain the ability to test and set up a PROFINET IO Device, test wiring (I/O Checking) and/or systems from their PC before putting into production. For developers of PROFINET I/O devices, the added benefit of using the tool is simple testing of their product for correct operation and diagnostic functionality prior to PROFINET certification testing and final product release.
Watch a Tutorial
PROFINET Commander V5.1 Released Dec 2018
If you are a user of the tool or are considering a purchase of the PRO version, there are some new PRO features and requirements that you should take into account.
First of all, V15.1 of TIA Portal engineering is now required for device configuration with PROFINET Commander. A separate license for TIA portal is not required for the PROFINET Commander PRO version (I/O Controller).
- Updated PROFINET stack – The PROFINET stack has been updated to meet the latest PROFINET specifications and the PRO version tool will operate as a standard Conformance Class B I/O controller to multiple devices or controllers setup as an I-device(s).
- Multi-threaded functions added – In the past, some operations (for example the DCP browser functions) in the tool could affect the real time performance; this has been minimized through multi-threading most of the functions wherever possible.
- Adjustable IO display timer (default 32 ms / up to 1 s) – One of the best new features is the I/O display / update timer, which allows the user to send the data down to 32 ms, which previously was locked at 512 ms. The I/O display timer can be adjusted from 32 ms up to 1 second. Be sure to check the manual on proper usage of this option. It should be equal or greater than your minimum I/O device time(s).
- GSD directory search for 32/64 bit – It is now possible to find the GSD files on multiple OS’s whether 32 or 64 bit.
- New automatic output settings added (Decrement, Bitwalk, Randomize, All On/Off) – More nice features which allow the user a variety of ways to set the output values automatically. Decrement the value or count down from the max; bit walk through each bit individually; randomize the data; or turn all the data points on or off simultaneously.